PenderWatch & Conservancy is an all-volunteer organization founded in 1986 in Pender County, North Carolina as "Responsible Advocates for the Environment."
PenderWatch is committed to preserving the natural environment of Pender County for current and future generations by promoting environmentally sound policies and programs."
Our principal activities are:
- Supporting environmental education and related student coastal ecology field work in Pender County schools
- Fostering healthy oyster populations in our waters by collecting recycled shells and building oyster reefs
- Advocating in matters that would have a significant impact on our natural environment
- Removing trash and recyclable materials from our marshes, Lea-Hutaff Island and Highway 17 in Hampstead
- Promoting public knowledge and action concerning healthy coastal habitats
- Participating in county government issues and activities that involve our natural environment
- Conducting water quality monitoring in selected coastal waters.
We are a 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization currently celebrating our 25th year and we have over 400 members. Our members, friends and occasional fundraisers provide our financial support.